Friday, April 25, 2008

My Balcony Night

A few nights ago, it was 70 degrees and amazingly sunny. Of course, since I have been deprived of warm weather for like....ever...I made Aaron promise to eat dinner with me on our balcony.

We have a nice balcony. It looks over this pretty marsh land and we see deer and hear crickets all day long. Also, thanks to Aaron's parents, we have an outdoor couch with weather-proof cushions. Doesn't sound too shabby, right?

So the work day rolls on and the sun is shining and a Corona Light with lime is totally calling my name. After work, I stopped by target to get groceries and pick up two TV trays to eat with outside (since we are still table less).

I get home and pop open a beer and assemble the beef kabobs. While the kabobs are cooking, I set up the TV trays outside, each with their own little place mat and silverware. I bring out some chips and salsa and grab Aaron a beer and we're set!

So far...so good....

We get outside and sit down and the blazing sun is shining directly into both of our eyes. OK...not so bad and still worth enjoying the weather. Then, the air conditioning in our apartment turns on and makes the loudest noise possible on our balcony while we are eating. Slightly annoying. So I wiggle around my TV tray to turn the AC off. I sit down again and the rumble of the freeway really starts to bug me. Then, I get totally freaked out because it dawns on me that we live on a Marsh. Marshes are full of bugs. Bugs are on my couch!!!!!!

At this point, I'm a little freaked out, so we finish up eating and head back inside. I never actually saw a bug, but I know that some are on that couch.

So the lovely dinner on the balcony idea wasn't too hot.

THEN! Last night, it was raining outside and I opened the balcony door to get a good whiff of spring rain (rain smells much better in Minnesota than in California). As I open the door, crazy Bengal head Roxy sprints under out couch. In an attempt to catch her before she leaps into the bug-filled marsh, Aaron pulls the couch away from the wall. Low and behold, A HUGE SPIDER falls from the couch. I covered my mouth, screamed, and ran inside.

Current thought: Balcony couch that harvests bugs and spiders=trash. New patio furniture that we need to buy that won't be home to marsh bugs=a must.

3 comments:

Karma Cowgirl said...

My back yard butts up against a marsh, too, and I have a screen door that opens facing the marsh.

From about next week until the middle of summer, I will spend my evenings hearing June bugs banging into that screen door and feel the acute unease that can only come from knowing your home is under attack.

I hate the feeling of invasion.

I wish you the best with your patio furniture pursuit.

Rachel, Charlie, and Samuel said...

Val, who is karma cowgirl? Also-very funny story. keep them coming! yes you defenitely need to get better patio furniture. Did you register for some? Maybe you can use your wedding money and go buy some nice ones! Did I tell you we are building a deck in our backyard this summer? so excited!
love,
rachel

Val said...

Rachel! You're building a deck? Wow that's awesome. Karma Cowgirl is my editor, Kate. She's really fun=)